On July 4, 1943, the church was organized as the First Southern Baptist Church of Richmond with eighteen charter members. The church began without a sponsoring church, but driven by a vision to minister in Richmond and the world. Within eight years the church had grown from a membership of 18 to over 700.
In the early 1960’s, the Richmond Redevelopment Agency took possession of the church property, forcing the church to find a new location. The church found a 10.5-acre land on Hillcrest Road in Richmond. So the church prepared the land and constructed the facilities, which is still the current site. The name of the church was changed to Hillcrest Baptist Church to reflect the new location.
Hillcrest Baptist Church continues to seek God’s vision and timing. His vision is to make us a multi-ethnic and multi-generational church seeking to magnify Jesus in the Bay area and the world. God’s timing is still perfect and still based on a need and provision. We will continue to trust God’s vision and timing as we make an impact on eternity.